Sunday, November 27, 2011

RLM...

RLM= Red Light Moment :)
Well, this past week I was driving through town and, of course, hit the light at Biddle and McAndrews...yes, at the turn from yellow to red...ugh! But I was not in so much of a hurry and I was enjoying the sun's rays coming through my window on the cold fall day- my view turned to the cars passing through their green light and I was looking at them as they drove through...as they each passed, I took notice of the people IN the cars- and had the thought- my red lights are others green lights. No, not deep- but stick with me here...They all have places they want to get to as well- and sometimes we are so focused on the immediate destination we are heading that we lose sight of the bigger picture. I saw a clear view of my perspective- I am selfish! I want green lights all the time- I don't want to be stopped by red lights...EVER! But at times- my red light moments are green lights for people around me.

This applies to my marriage, my parenting, my friendships...etc. It can't always be my way- that is not the way things work. I don't normally think of myself as being self-absorbed (who that is self-absorbed does?) ha!! You know what though- I can be! I am too often about myself, my feelings, my plans.

I have been reading through a book called, "The Royal Way of the Cross" by Fenelon and I can't get passed this chapter. It is a red light moment I am taking for myself because I need to grasp at least a piece of this passage...the title of the chapter is, "On Christian Perfection" and the start of it says:
"Christian perfection is not the strict, wearisome constrained thing many suppose it to be. It requires us to give ourselves to God with our whole heart, and so soon as this is accomplished, whatever we are called upon to do for God becomes easy. Those who are wholly God's are always satisfied, for they desire only that which he wills, and are ready to do whatever he requires."
The following three pages in this chapter have had me captivated for about a week now. There is more than where we are right now. There is more to life than this. Sometimes we grasp it and then too soon we can lose that perspective. Life isn't about perfection or having it all together all the time. It is about loving God with all our heart, mind, soul, and strength AND loving others too. Our church has a sign up when you arrive and it says so simply: Love God, Love People. That is what this side of life is about. I want to stop complicating that! So I am thankful to see my own crossroad. I will probably end up here again sooner than later- but I will continue to realign and begin again on the right path.

2 comments:

  1. I have to tell you that I read this the day you posted it, and every day since, whenever I am stopped at a red light, I am reminded of this life lesson. I also shared it with my hubby and kids.... something we all need to ponder daily. Thanks, Rose!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad to hear! Hope to see you and your fam this weekend at the champion game!!! So excited for it! :)

    ReplyDelete