Monday, November 21, 2011

When the rubber meets the road...

Yes this is the main title for the blog, but it is where I find myself once again...

How do we get through the times in life that seem so hopeless? How do we find the strength to hold on when there seems to be nothing to hold on to? I had a college class today and the question was asked, "What word comes to mind when we think of spirituality?" My first thought was God, but as we had to share with people and I was still pondering it- the word that came to mind was- Hope. That is what my spirituality is- hope in more than this- hope in a God bigger than all of this.

O, how a heart can grieve. If you have never seen the movie "The 5th Quarter"- you should check it out. It is a heart wrencher, so be forewarned- keep kleenex close by. Today a friend of my daughter- lost a cousin. Recently in our community two kids died of cancer, a friend of my mom's just killed himself a week ago. How hard it can be to keep hope going when things seem so horrible around us.

Our family is going through a tough time and yes we can be thankful for many things- we are in good health and are blessed in many ways, but we have some tough things happening- out of our control. It has been a difficult time and today was another unexpected blow. My mind is racing, I am trying to fix it on the Lord and realign my perspective. But let me just be plain honest- it is so stinking hard! It is hard to keep hoping when things keep looking so grim.

So what do we do in these moments? How do we cope with the reality at hand? When the rubber meets the road- it hurts! There is no doubt about it! So I will do the only thing I can do- be still and know that God is God.

Lord I do come before you feeling so broken,
I know there are many people out there that are broken too
and so I lift them up as well right now. I pray for them, for their hurts and struggles.
Please God, we need you to move in a big way.
I feel like nothing short of a miracle is going to change our circumstances.
Please help our hearts to trust you, no matter what happens.
Please help us be thankful for the little things everyday, may we not take anything for granted.
You are bigger than our problems and I choose to trust you.
May we not be consumed with sorrow.
May we not allow our hearts to harden.
May we allow ourselves to hurt and then heal.
Your word says- sorrow may last for a night, but joy comes in the morning-
fill us with your joy Lord- not false joy, but pure, true joy.
Please help us be about serving others and showing your love to those we meet.
You are awesome and mighty
May we remember your ways are not our ways
your thoughts not our thoughts.
I choose to surrender to your will.
Amen

Well this is raw footage on the ground of my heart tonight.
Pressed, but not crushed, persecuted not abandoned, struck down but not destroyed.

No comments:

Post a Comment