Monday, January 16, 2012

One of those Sundays...

Well, we got up and headed off to church- like most Sundays. Great service, message to ponder and glean from, and out the door for home. What happened next has become too routine for our drive home- people bickering at each other- hence someone near tears and someone else now upset. UGH! NOT AGAIN! We pull off so I can run into a store and grab eggs for breakfast and I am praying...

I get back to the car feeling like giving up and I just speak out truth- 
we all have a choice to make here- we each hold in our possession the ability to build unity or tear it down in our family. Our choice will be followed by actions and evident to all. The choice is in each of us and I suggest you take a look at what your choice shows in this family...
TOTAL SILENCE
(which in a house of ladies is a rarity) lol

I sat feeling as if I had an epiphany! I have been praying that the Lord show me a new perspective on my parenting. I seem to be at a cross road. What worked when the girls were younger, doesn't work as well now. In fact, I see them resisting the things I have taught them for years. Instead of teachable moments- they see them as lectures. Instead of sharing stories or verses they see me as being annoying. And honestly- I am trying to control what is not mine to control. So I was reminded today- my place is to provide them with truth and then they choose their path. Now as long as they remain under my roof there are non-negotiable things that are going to remain. The other areas I will continue to seek the Lord's perspective and wisdom. They gotta figure it out and I have exerted so much energy trying to steer them into the exact path to walk, but I hear the Lord saying- let go! This is a hard thing for me. However, I have walked with the Lord long enough to know that when He says to do something I best get on it, so I will continue down this road- believing God is at work and and thankful for the perspective He is teaching me.

Anyway, if any of you out there are in a similar place- I hope you find some encouragement to know that you aren't alone and God will show you a different way to deal with the battles at hand.

I wish I could say the victory began at that moment...but we had battles continue through the day, but in the end- my two who fight most often- were playing Wii together, laughing, and enjoying life together. And it is a simple thing- but it is a treasure to my heart and all I can say is thank you Jesus. :)

"He who began a good work in you, will be faithful to complete it...." Phil 1:6
"Behold how good and how pleasant it is for brothers to dwell together in unity!" Ps 133:1


1 comment:

  1. I hear you, sister. I get the same looks you probably do when I'm teaching/lecturing/trying-not-to-lose-my-cool. Praise God for bringing us back to His perspective ; ) I really want to live in that reality, that these are His children in my care, and He ultimately is the One Who directs their paths.
    He loves our children so much more than we ever humanly could; Lord, help us to trust in You and Your plans for our children. Strengthen us to be a benefit in Your plan and not a hindrance.

    ReplyDelete