Monday, July 8, 2013

A new season begins...

As I reach for plates to set the table I grab five- out of habit- then release the last one because we are now a table of four. My heart sink down a bit...

It is not that I have never set the table for only four before- but I know that this is the new normal for our home and it will take some getting use to.

My oldest moved out while the rest of us went camping. It was best that way, but we come home to an emptiness and I have to say it isn't the best feeling. I keep reminding myself that parenting is for a season and kids living at home well past the time they ought to is not really such a blessing. However, in this moment it brings that familiar friend I have had with me for far too long...sorrow upon my heart.

I recently read a little story* about Mr. and Mrs. Sparrow as their little sparrows had flown the nest and Mrs. Sparrow was having her tears with it (as all us momma's can understand) and Mr. Sparrow though understanding, prods the Mrs. on to fly on to the next adventure. Anyway it was so precious to my heart at the crossroad I am at- not coincidentally I wake one morning and my girls discover a nest out back.

So I have watched these birds over the past few weeks and have seen how fast they have grown- doesn't our time with our kids go by so fast.

The first period of time all they did was sit there with their mouths open, waiting for food to be fed to them. Those were physically exhausting days as a new momma- long nights at times too. I remember feeling like I couldn't see the light at the end of that season and it seemed overwhelming at times.

Very quickly, the birds grew from these featherless, helpless little creatures to looking like they are content, eyes opened wide, and resting in the nest- but not for long. I think of Mary and the treasures she stored in her heart through Jesus's childhood- I too am full of treasured moments with my girls.

I see now that the birds are so big they are scrunched up in the nest and I know too soon they will take that first flight and then venture out on their own. This is the place I experience today.

It is what is suppose to happen- we know this- but o it is a hard one.

Anyway, these are things on my heart tonight as I return home...


A little blessing and lesson from the Lord. :)

 
Us with our little "sparrows"

* "Feathers From My Nest" by Beth Moore is the book that story is from.

3 comments:

  1. Hello Rose ! Lauri Henry shared your blog and just wanted to say how well you reminded us all of our mothering role....it changes for sure but the love just grows! Since Lauri and Jason are on the tip of this same experience of the eldest moving on...I'm sure your thoughts meant so much to her. Coincidentally we have felt like a 'maternity ward' for doves on our patio this summer. Watched two different birthings about 6 wks apart and I also was struck with how as our fledgings take wing...we as Moms step off into a new flight also (it keeps happening BTW--I am a Mom of 47 & 50 yr old daughters and life keeps us all in new seasons !) You write so well Rose - just wanted you to know I treasured what you expressed. May God give you special times in your relationship with your young adults - forever !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your encouraging words. It is always a wonderful thing to glean from those who have walked the path ahead of me. I know I will get through but a bit sad in the present. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your encouraging words. It is always a wonderful thing to glean from those who have walked the path ahead of me. I know I will get through but a bit sad in the present. :)

    ReplyDelete